The pull up is one of the most badass, empowering exercises one can do.
I’d argue that there’s a plethora of women (and men) looking to up the ante on their pull up regimen.
This could be for reasons like:
1.) Overcoming a feat of strength you see as impossible.
2.) Making your back look jacked.
3.) Increasing your chances to go on a date with Kate Upton.
Whatever your reason is for working toward a better pull up, I’m all for it.
If you’re interested in doing a comprehensive pull up program, I urge you to check out strength coach Meghan Callaway’s new product coming out October 24th.
Spoiler alert: you have to train more than just your back to get better at pull ups.
You also have to get creative with the ways you challenge the exercise so you progress.
With that said, here is this week’s Exercise for Confidence, which is a sneak peek of an exercise in Meghan’s program:
Why it’s awesome:
– It’s an excellent progression to conventional pull ups. The 2-finger grip ensures that you initiate the movement with your back and not rely on your arms.
– That’s it.
– Sorry if that was anti-climatic.
– Initiate movement with your back by attacking the bar with your chest.
– Keep your legs straight and feet together so that your core stays engaged (this is a critical component of Meghan’s program: core stability)
– Squeeze your glutes to keep your lower body strong throughout the movement.
Enjoy and let me know how you do.